Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Recovery Slow As Promised

I’ve been blessed with remarkable health during my lifetime. Before this bout with cancer, I had not missed work because of sickness in over ten years. When I do catch a stomach flu, its often gone in less than 12 hours. When heath professionals said my recovery from the chemo and radiation would be measured in week and months, not days, I knew my patience would be tested. In fact, recovery of some of my oral cavity functions could take up to a year.

So how am I doing, now that I’m a full five days away from my last day of treatment? I’ve begun to notice a subtle improvement in the blisters and burns inside of my mouth. Yippee! My radiation burns on my neck have worsened as the top layer of skin has left pink, raw new skin exposed. Ouch! This, I’m told will improve over the next week or so. I’m still very fatigued and sleeping about 14 hours a day. On a very positive note, a speech therapist from our church visited New Years eve. He works regularly with head and neck cancer patients. He said my swelling and oral function are where most patients are at three weeks post-treatment. So, I must be thankful my body tolerated radiation as well as it did.

I’ve begun to put on some weight, even though I’m still receiving all of my nutrition in liquid form through my feeding tube. To give myself a chance of regaining weight in the best possible way, I began very light exercise this week. On Monday, I walked a half mile on the treadmill and did a few arm curls. Today, I walked seven tenths of a mile and completed some arm curls. I never though it was possible to be winded and break a sweat walking just a half mile! I guess that is a sign of just how weak I am. Slowly but surely I hope to regain my strength.

I mentioned last week Elliott’s truck was totaled in a wreck. In the past, we would establish “performance standards” Elliott had to meet before we would step in to make him whole. Time will tell if our decision was best, but Theresa and I decided to teach Elliott about grace through this incident by replacing his truck today. We describe grace as something freely given to someone that is not deserved. In response to receiving something through grace, one is motivated by thankfulness to honor the giver through respect and obedience. This is how we respond to our divine blessings and the gift of salvation. We pray this situation will reinforce this truth with Elliott.

Talk with you soon!

5 comments:

Kent Stones said...

"I never though it was possible to be winded and break a sweat walking just a half mile!"

Unfortunatley, that's my normal state. Ha!

Dave, I'm so excited about your progress. Every little positive change is reason to celebrate. Your description of your decision with regard to Elliott and the meaning of grace was very insightful to me. It's causing me to ponder how I've responded to acts of grace (kindness?) - no matter how big or small - in my life. Thank you.

Kent

Granddaddy said...

I'm so pleased to hear this good news, Dave. I've never had the slightest doubt about your body's ability (will!) to recover. I smile as I read your blog because such a disciplined and faithful approach to your recovery protocol is so much like you. (Are you holding accountability sessions with your doctors and nurses?) And your handling of the grace issue with Elliott is also so much like you. It's reminiscent of the Sunday School lesson I taught only last week. The Lord is indeed full of grace, AND an all-important ingredient in the process is our own personal accountability to correct principles. Blessings to you and yours.

Rodger

Bonnie and Gene said...

We rejoice with you that God has brought you this far to be part of the recovery state, yes the absolute test of patience or the absolute reslove that God's timing is best and His plans are good. You and Theresa are such great students that you will fare well in God's class room and I believe one day teach the lessons to many others.

I smile as we think of Elliot's new vehicle, the "grace mobile". That might be one lesson that will reside in his heart forever.

Along with you, we praise God from whom each and every blessing flows, for His care for your family during the past days and weeks!

Love you, Bonnie and Gene

Unknown said...

Hey McCalleys!!

Happy New Year!!!!

Kent stole my humor. I had the same reaction as he did when I read that you didn't think it was possible to be winded in walking a half mile. I wouldn't really know since I usually just walk from the couch to the fridge and back. I think that's more like 30 feet.

I'm glad you felt good enough to spend time with family over the holidays... and also very glad to hear that Elliott and his friend weren't badly hurt in the accident.

May your progress continue to be positive to full recovery and may 2008 be a great year for your whole family!

God's peace.

Unknown said...

Hey Dave.....loved to hear how guys handled the truck situation with Elliott. Natalie and I both loved how you did that and said that we wanted to write down this example, with others similar we've heard, on a list so that we can use them too.

Glad to hear you're gaining weight!