Sunday, January 27, 2008

Update and Two Special Gifts

This coming Thursday, the last day in January, I will meet with my lead oncology doctor for a check up. From my first meeting with him, he let me know the recovery period would be measured in months, not days. While I did not want to believe him, time is proving him right. The degree of damage caused by radiation and the rate of recovery varies by individual, but for my particular cancer and treatment, the convalescence can be two to six months.

This past week, was uneventful, and my mouth continued its slow healing process. The blisters on the inside of my cheeks are decreasing and I hope they will be gone within two weeks. My tongue still has a long way to recover, but I am gaining movement. I try to sip water a few times a day, but swallowing is not comfortable, yet.

I have received many special gifts and meaningful letters from friends and family over the past few months. While there is not enough space in this blog to begin to describe them, I would like to highlight two gifts I received from groups who are very important to me. First, over Christmas, members of my church made a bevy of Christmas tree ornaments with special messages. Theresa and I hung the handmade ornaments on a tree downstairs in the home theater room where I’ve been living. The tree and ornaments are a constant reminder of my church family, many of whom I’ve known for thirty to forty years. Theresa and I intend to put this tree up every year as a reminder of what we hope will be victory over cancer.

The second major gift I received just this past week. My friends and co-workers at American Century Investments made a quilt filled with personal, handwritten messages intertwined between the colorful quilt squares. The border of the quilt is, appropriately, a pattern of musical instruments and the word “jazz.” Another leadership team at American Century Investments has sent one or two cards of encouragement every week. I extend my most sincere thanks to all of you for these and the many other special gifts and notes you have sent me.

I plan to provide an update after my Thursday check up by Friday, February first.

4 comments:

Jen P. said...

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the quilt. I hope you only see the love that went in to it and not the mistakes! :-)

Stay strong, keep fighting, and we will all see you soon back at work.

Lisa Martin said...

Dave - I too wish it would not take so long…but each step you take is taking you up to the top of another mountain another high point in you life. As you know, many people are with you on this journey especially the Lord.
TLB&KY,
Lisa

Unknown said...

Hi Dave, Just read your latest update. It was unbelievably "painful" as you described the inside of your mouth but "encouraging" to hear that you are preparing yourself mentally and spiritually for the "long haul" of healing. This patiently waiting, as Isaiah instructs us, will help you to renew your strength. You will soon be able to "run" and not be weary and "walk" and not faint. People are praying,
you're fighting and let's wait on God for the results.
Fred in Scotland

Unknown said...

Dave,
Even though your recovery process has been long, slow and painful, you have experienced positive steps. I continue to pray that your recovery will be speedy and less sufferable. I will pray for more good news on Thursday and await your reporting of the results. Hang in there and keep fighting.
Shawn