Saturday, January 12, 2008

Initial Post-Treatment Check Up

Friday I had my two-week post-treatment check up with my radiation oncologist. Most of the news was positive and one area was identified for monitoring. My doctor was encouraged by my weight gain of three pounds over the past two weeks and the low level of pain I’m experiencing. Both of these as well as the gradual healing of my neck from radiation burns and oral cavity indicate I’m on a good path to recover from the damage chemotherapy and radiation imposed on my body.

The area identified for monitoring is the lymph node on the right side of my neck. It did not shrink in size over the past two weeks. This lump will be monitored closely including a CT scan in mid-February. Then, in the third week of February a decision will be made if surgery to remove the lump is the best course of action. This is not uncommon, and in most instances the lump is scar tissue left from the radiation’s destruction of the cancer. It is also possible, treatment was not totally successful. It will be about two to three months before we will know if the treatment accomplished the goal of killing the cancer. This timeframe is consistent with what I was told from the beginning.

In the meantime, I’m praying for the lump to once again begin to shrink. As you can imagine, I prefer to not extend my recovery by another surgery. Then again, if that is what is required to resolve this episode with cancer, I must be thankful a remedy is available.

I had also hoped to be cleared for a swallowing test, but that was not to be. The swelling in my mouth and throat will need to diminish further to ensure an accurate test. My next appointment with the radiation oncologist is January 31st. If I continue to heal at the current rate, a swallowing test will likely be scheduled early in February. Until then, I will continue feeding through my PEG tube. My doctor has asked me to begin sipping water and swallowing to prepare me for the possibility of taking food by mouth in February.

Thanks again for your thoughts, prayers and support. This may be a slow recovery process, but I’m advancing one day at a time.

11 comments:

Jim said...

Dave, What is your first wish when all this is over in a few months??

Dave McCalley said...

Not sure I will wish for anything. I do know I will cherish life and all it has to offer. I will focus on the preciousness of what is, my family and friends.

Joe J. said...

The difficulty in the continuous downs and ups of battling cancer surely cannot be imagined without first hand experience. My faith has never been challenged to such a degree. Your continued focus on the grace of God and His love for you is so very inspiring.

Unknown said...

fighting is one of your strenght , you are showing to your children an example of courage and will power. Now I hope i can get a smile out of you with this semi serious joke:
Three economists and three mathematicians were going for a trip by train. Before the journey, the mathematicians bought 3 tickets but economists only bought one. The mathematicians were glad their stupid colleagues were going to pay a fine. However, when the conductor was approaching their compartment, all three economists went to the nearest toilet. The conductor, noticing that somebody was in the toilet, knocked on the door. In reply he saw a hand with one ticket. He checked it and the economists saved 2/3 of the ticket price.
The next day, the mathematicians decided to use the same strategy - they bought only one ticket, but economists did not buy tickets at all! When the mathematicians saw the conductor, they hid in the toilet, and when they heard knocking they handed in the ticket. They did not get it back.

Why? The economists took it and went to the other toilet.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're moving along as scheduled. Thinking good thoughts for you and your family.... stick with it!

Unknown said...

Dave,
Always anxious to hear of your progress. We will continue to pray for your recovery, and specifically that the lymph node is just scar tissue. Our prayers also continue for your family's strengthening and growth through this trial.

Dan

P.S. I need to send you messages more often. I keep forgetting my user name and/or password, and it takes me 15 minutes to get the message sent once I have written it. A techno-geek I am not.

Karen said...

I go through my days oblivious to the number of things I'm taking for granted. I remain focused on developing the requesite influencing skills or political strategies to be effective in my daily life. Like most people, I worry about trivial things. I get frustrated by yucky traffic patterns on the interstate, or the poor service I got from the (name your service) service provider on the phone. Then I come home and I go through all the evening routine and finally get a few minutes to read this blog. And it reminds me to reflect on the things in my life that matter the most. Thanks again for sharing your journey, Dave.

RRIGA said...

Dave ,
Wanted to let you know I have been praying and thinking about you. I wanted to stop by over the Holidays but knew you required all strength and rest for your own family. I have no doubt in your abilities and inner strength. I totally agree with everyone, your words and courage is amazing and inspiring. I think what blows me away the most is your grace of handling Family issues that would be overwhelming for the healthiest of individuals. Keep up the good work !!! Give hugs and kisses to the family , hopefully I can see you next trip to KC.
Love Rod & Family
Marietta , Ga

B2S said...

Sounds like it's all moving in the right direction, Dave. And it must be a great relief to now be "post-treatment." Your attitude is refreshing, infectious. . . amazing. You're in our thoughts everyday.
Barry

dmu said...

Good to hear you are recovering at a good pace.
The biggest issue I had post-treatment was this: The focus on getting through treatment was so encompassing that I wasn’t sure what to do once the treatment was over. It was a bit of a struggle to just wait on the recovery with few tangible acts to take.
It takes time and you will get through it just great. You have such a positive attitude and so much support.
Go Dave!

Tony V said...

Dave, that is excellent news! Keep blowing that horn. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Tony V