Thursday, January 31, 2008

Five Week Check Up: Good News!

Today I had a check up with my lead oncology doctor. Going into the check up, I was not feeling positive about my progress. On the positive side, I’ve continued my weight gain of one pound a week. On the negative side, my mouth has not been healing as quickly as I’d expected. However, I must have set the expectation bar too high as the news Theresa and I received today was very positive.

First, the most encouraging news. After the doctor examined my oral cavity and felt my tongue, he announced that he could not detect the cancerous mass he identified back in November. While a physical exam is not definitive, it is encouraging to hear this news. He also noticed scar tissue was building near the top of my esophagus. To insure I am able to swallow with no restriction, a mechanical stretching of this area will probably be required.

The lymph node lump my oncologist has been monitoring also demonstrated encouraging changes. While the length and width were the same, it is definitely flattening and thus getting smaller. A CT scan and other tests will determine whether a neck dissection will be required to remove the remaining mass. This decision will be made in late February.

The only negative news was the identification of a mild case of thrush. Theresa and I suspected this as the top of my tongue began to turn white last week. This is a very common situation and is treated with medication. Removal of the thrush, which is a yeast infection, will reduce the discomfort I am experiencing inside my mouth.

Overall, this was a very encouraging check up. I was very pleased to hear the doctor say that even if surgery is required to remove the lump in my neck, we have a great chance of “hitting a home run.” Theresa and I interpreted that comment to mean there is a strong possibility of total success. He also noted that my recovery is progressing more quickly than most. So, while I feel frustrated with the pace of healing, I must remain thankful and patient.

February will be busy for me. Next week I will have a swallowing test. If all goes well, I will be cleared to begin shifting my food intake from the PEG tube to my mouth. After twelve weeks without tasting any food, I’m looking forward to a new found appreciation of taste. However, that may not come until my taste buds heal, which could be late this year. Then, the following week I will have a CT scan, which will be key for the check ups scheduled with my ENT physician and oncologist third full week of February.

To sum up, I am cautiously optimistic. Current evidence suggests I will be on the right side of the 50/50 odds I was given just twelve weeks ago. Then again, when God is involved odds don’t really matter, do they.

13 comments:

jen <> said...

What a GREAT read...you're more popular reading for some of us than the leading bestseller! Thanks for another fine update and a reminder to appreciate any successes and simply life itself!

Burt and Linda said...

Thanks so much for sharing the details of your journey through this, Dave! You don't know how many times in the past few months, when faced with a challenge, we've said, "If Dave can get through what he's going through, we can most certainly get through this!"or "This is NOTHING compared to what Dave's gone through." You're an inspiration, and we thank the Lord for you, your family, and for His gracious goodness.

Jenny said...

Congrats on the great news, we've been anxiously awaiting news after your Dr. visit! You're in our thoughts and prayers daily. Thanks for the continued inspiration.

Unknown said...

Fantastic news! I'm so excited for you!

Lee S. Kowarski said...

What great news, Dave! I'm so happy to hear that things are progressing well

Thanks for the regular updates

You are in all of our thoughts here in NY

Mechelle Smokorowski said...

Dave,
I am so glad to hear your encouraging news! I am so touched by your story and your willingness to share it. Keep up the great attitude and we'll continue to pray for a full recovery.

Mechelle Smokorowski

Granddaddy said...

I'm so happy -- and not surprised -- to hear this good news. Being a patient patient, like you, is what the Great Healer wants from all of us.

Rodger

Unknown said...

Dave,

Thanks so much for the update. What encouraging news. I hope it just continues to keep coming your way!

B2S said...

Such great news, Dave! Look forward to more good reports in the future.

No Splashin said...

So glad to hear the encouraging news, Dave. Your journey continues to inspire, and remind us of what's really important.

Kent Stones said...

YAHOO!!!!!!!

Dave, I'm so excited for you! This lifted me up this weekend and has made all the stress and challenges in my life seem trivial.

When your taste buds heal, I'm taking you on a tour of all your favorite restaurants!

Kent

Joe Greene said...

Dave, news of your progress is inspiring. I'd like to join you and Kent for that dinner out!

Linda K said...

Dave,

In writing this blog, you are creating a treasure for family, friends and others who may stumble across it. You are a continuing inspiration to me and so many others. It's wonderful that you are starting to work at home. Keep on keeping on as my grandma used to say!

Love and prayers,

Linda K