Monday, January 7, 2008

Contentment

My blog entry today considers the attitude of contentment. Something that takes on a new meaning when you face death. When Theresa and I were first married, we would treat ourselves to a can of Cherry Hi-C. It doesn’t’ sound like much now, but against a $30 per week grocery bill it was a big discretionary treat. Twenty years later, we have a separate pantry just to store all of the food we buy, but don’t really need. Our level of contentment with food has changed along with our capacity to purchase food. This cycle played out very rapidly during my cancer treatment.

The most challenging time I faced physically during my battle with cancer was about four to six days after my second round of chemotherapy. During that time, I was pleading with God for relief from the nausea, fatigue and intense discomfort. I was elated when I could sit awake for just a few hours and talk with my family. Now a few weeks later, I’m wishing I didn’t have to sleep fourteen hours a day.

I am repeating a pattern typical of us all. Displeasure with current circumstances, then improvement. However, once the improvement grows old, desire for the next stage of improvement. There are positives and negatives with this reaction. On the positive side is the drive for us to advance and push our limits. On the negative side is lack of contentment and unhappiness with the current situation.

How am I reconciling this? I will not focus on what I desire and don’t yet have. I will begin by focusing on the positives of my situation to ensure I have an attitude of contentment. Then, I will plan and take action to improve my health. Rooting my attitude in contentment is a lesson I’m sure I’ll be able to transfer to many facets of my life – career, fitness, music, parenting, etc. However, that doesn’t mean I won’t put forth effort to get better at what I do. I’m too much of a competitor for that! ;-)

My health continues to improve. The radiation burns are no longer painful. I’m still shedding some skin, but the underlying skin is tough enough for exposure to the air. The blisters and burns inside my mouth continue to heal and my tongue is gaining movement. I hope to begin taking some food by mouth in the next week or so. I continue to sleep in a sitting position. I don’t feel safe lying down with the thick saliva and choking fits I have. I see the doctor on Friday and hope to learn what else I can do to add more normalcy to my daily routine.

Thanks again for your thoughts, prayers, emails, cards and letters. You are keeping my spirits bright. Talk with you again soon!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave:
Wishing you and your family a belated Merry Christmas. We pray God will provide for you in 2008, with strength, courage, determination and above all a closer relationship to our Creator so that you are successful in overcoming this trial in your life. The Guerras

Unknown said...

More progress, and a healthy attitude as always. Hang in there!

drlove said...

The wisdom of Coach Dave!
I'm going to fix up a phone call between you, and Britney Spears. She needs you. And, you could teach her a thing or two about music why you're at it.
While I'm talking about celebrities; how did you get Bill Gates to play the keyboards in your band?
Love ya ~

Kent Stones said...

Dave, a very interesting post.

Coincidentally, I've been reading a book about the important of concentration on the present moment, not dwelling on the past or obsessing about the future. The key is know where you want to go (your goal) but honor and give your fullest attention to the step you are taking at this moment.

You need to write a book, dude!

I'm so happy to hear your heading on the path to recovery.

Jerry Matthews said...

Continue the positive outlook and attitude as it will cause you to appreciate the smaller circumstances and events that in the end have significant meaning to us. Your overall spiritual, mental and physical responses have been and I'm sure will continue to be unbelievable to what drastic battles you along with the will of our Heavenly Father have won. Know you and your family continue to be in our prayers daily. Jerry and

kc bob said...

Sometimes the hardest part of being content is being able to flow with our weakness.

Grace and peace to you Dave as you fight the battle to be content.

Bob

Bill Moseman said...

Dave:
I have been wondering how you have been doing in your fight, let me rephrase that--your beat down of this terrible misfortune because you are winning and you will not relent until you come out on top. All of us here at ACI are behind you, supporting you and hoping this ends as you have planned--we know you have a plan because, well, your Dave :). It won't be long before you are back on the horn belting a song of triumph and victory as we celebrate your complete recovery. Take care.
Bill