Saturday, December 29, 2007

Recovery Phase Here I Come!

Well, I’m ready now to begin a new phase – recovery! Yesterday, I had my last two radiation treatments. I’ve been warned to not expect much change for a while. However, its hard not to anticipate each additional day removed from the treatment protocol designed to destroy the cancer, and in the process my health. For each day removed from the treatment, is one more day my body will utilize its divinely inherent healing process to repair itself.

I have been told there are some functions in my oral cavity that may not return, or only partially return to normal. Possible long term side effects include functionality of salivary glands and taste buds that loose their sensitivity. The radiation doctor carefully mapped out the application and intensity of radiation to mitigate these risks, but his first priority is killing the cancer, not insuring my mouth returns to its pre-treatment state. I have sipped liquids recently and noticed that sweet liquids and water taste awful, but chicken broth was closer to normal. Time will tell how this plays out. Again, a small sacrifice to have a chance at a cancer free life.

Last week was a bit of a rollercoaster for me. On Christmas Eve, I felt good enough to travel to my mom’s home a few minutes a way. This is where we have traditionally spent Christmas Eve as a family. No one expected me to have the strength to do this, so it was a real treat for us all. On Christmas day, I went for radiation treatment in the morning. The clinic was closed but my physician and a technician came in special to make sure my last week of treatment was on protocol (Thanks again to both of you!). My wife’s family and my family came to our home on Christmas for brunch. The previous evening was pretty exhausting for me, so I ended up spending much of Christmas sleeping. Then on Wednesday evening we received a phone call from Elliott. He was very shaken as he told me he just had a bad wreck. He and his girlfriend were returning from dinner when he hit “black ice” as I-435 North crosses the Missouri river. He spun out of control and eventually came to rest with his truck facing the wrong direction pinned against the guard rail. Theresa met Elliott at the emergency room. Elliott’s girlfriend was bruised and Elliott broke his nose, but nothing too serious. His truck was totaled. We focused on the protection God provided to shift his teenage mind from the loss of his favorite material possession to the physical protection God provided. More lessons and growth ahead on this front, I’m sure. Needless to say, the emotional energy on top of the final days of treatment resulted in me sleeping a lot Thursday and Friday to fight off the fatigue.

The events of the past week reinforces my resolve to beat cancer. There is so much I still want to provide my family in the way of guidance and support. I pray for God’s healing and the privilege to serve Him for many years to come.

Thanks again for your continued cards and notes of support. They are keeping our spirits bright! Talk with you soon.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave,

Congrats on completing your treatments. although we know many hard days still lie ahead, it's great to reach a milestone. Our prayers continue for your recovery. Glad to hear Elliott was not seriously hurt.
Looking forward to the day when you feel well enough to return to your Beth Haven "family". We miss you.

The Roneys

Granddaddy said...

Dave, you are an inspiration. Thanks for reminding us all to focus on the things that really matter most.

Rodger

Unknown said...

Fantastic news! You're almost there!

kc bob said...

Praying that the results will pleasantly surprise and exceed all of your expectations!

Kent Stones said...

I'm not surprised that you made it through a protocol that many found too difficult to complete. I can't even begin to fathom the depth of your courage and resolve.

I'm relieved Elliott and his girlfriend are OK.

I'm looking forward to hearing the recovery stories, because each one means you're closer to being cancer-free!

Linda K said...

Dave,

You have done something which many have not been able to achieve... completing a difficult protocol. I never had any doubt. Your courage and determination are an inspiration to us all. I'm expecting good things for you in the days ahead. We're so glad to hear that Elliott and his girlfriend are OK. We serve a gracious God.

We'll keep praying for you and yours and looking forward to the day when you return to us at Beth Haven.

Love and prayers,

Linda

MaryG said...

Not so long ago we were sitting in my office, looking at the calendar, and talking about "six weeks of he**". Now it is complete and no one is surprised that you came through it exactly as you have - with guns-a-blazing (in your own Christ-like way). Congratulations! The people whose lives you've already touched with your journey will surely pale in comparison to those yet to cross your path. You are paying it forward in so many ways and setting amazing examples for us all. Thank you for sharing. I continue to pray. Godspeed.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Τhank you Lord, for providing Dave the ‘special’ opportunity to grow and extol Your virtues at this time. Without question, we know of Your infinite and eternal Love for us, and for Dave. Yet by this weakness, You have given him an ‘open door’ to witness, in many more places, to many more people to Your Strength and Your Salvation. As a wonderful Father, You care for us above our understanding. Might we all continue to praise and honor Your wonderful Name.

  Who have I in heaven but You?
And beside You, I desire nothing on earth.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For, behold, apart from You, they are perishing;
You have brought to an end all who reject You.
But as for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
That I may tell of all Your works.

Unknown said...

My heart is leaping for joy for you and your family. Here comes recovery! I'm eager to hear about full calorie consumption and weight gain.
Dave, your faith and resolve are so inspiring. If not a book, you must at least write an article from which future cancer patients can build strength and hope.
I'm so glad Elliott and friend are ok.

Unknown said...

Dave, congrats on completing your treatments--praise God! We all knew you'd make it through like the champion fighter you are.
We'll continue to pray for you and the family as you start the recovery phase.
We are so glad to hear that Elliott and his girlfriend are okay and incurred no serious injuries.
We look forward to hearing more updates on this blog.
Shawn & Kelli

Joe J. said...

Dave, T. S. Eliot may not be your favorite poet or person for that matter but, nevertheless, from one of his poems, "...the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

As you close in on the end of this journey and begin the next, I am excited for you and what the Lord must have in store.

S8M said...

Congratulations on reaching such an important milestone! Your strength and resolve are truly amazing,... but not at all surprising. Thank you too for the regular updates to the blog...we all appreciate being able to connect with you in this way. Keep up the fight!
Steve

DDrum said...

Dave,

I wish I could upload pictures to this blog comment. If I could, I would upload a picture of two great kids - named Nathan and Jordan - who the doctors said were not possible following Amy's bone marrow transplant.

We are so appreciative for the doctors and nurses and all of their work and ability. That said, the are still just practicing medicine.

His Grace is not only sufficient in adversity, it can be down right astonishing.

You continue to be in our prayers

The Drums

Jean Ann said...

Morning Dave, Jc and I are so pleased to read about your progress. We are looking forward to the day we walk into church and see your smiling face. We continue to pray for you and your family.
Love & Prayers,
Jean Ann