Saturday, December 8, 2007

Treatment Protocol 50% Complete

This past Friday marked the half way point for my treatments. I’m told the side effects will increase until I either cry uncle, or the treatment protocol ends on December 28th. I plan on enduring the treatments with everything I’ve got so the chemo and radiation have a maximum chance of winning in the removal of this ugly disease.

I’m reminded of a 20-kilometer race when I was seventeen. I developed stomach cramps two laps into this 50 lap race. I trained too hard to step off the track, so I relaxed and took deep belly breaths for the next few laps. Finally, about two miles into the race, the cramps subsided and I was able to work my way back to my scheduled race splits and earn the right to compete in the senior men’s class-B national title race in Chicago that fall. I was fortunate to win that Chicago race for my first of two senior men’s racewalk titles during my senior year in high school. That same attitude of refusing to quit is what I’ll draw on over the next few weeks. After all, this is not as trite as an athletic competition, this is my life.

I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by the volume of cards, emails, blog posts and more importantly the meaningful words of encouragement and laughter so many of you have provided me the past few weeks. They have made an deep impression on me. From so many corners of my life, I’ve heard from friends current and from my past. Its truly hard for me to grasp the outpouring of support. My thanks to each of you! Having never been seriously ill, or even sick for more that a day or two, I never fully appreciated the importance of reaching out in even the smallest way to encourage the sick. It sounds silly, but this is one of the many lessons I will take away from this experience.

On a lighter note, I have been keeping a spreadsheet to detail what are now important events in my daily life. (Yes, I'm sleeping with my laptop computer.) I monitor the volume of water, liquid food, body temperature, medicines and other bodily functions, complete with daily summaries. While I’ve set goals, I’ve learned there is no overriding the effects of the cancer treatments. I may ingest the amount of food I need to gain weight, but that does not mean my body will keep it. So, while I’m still focused on moving in the right direction, I’ve become a bit more patient with what my body will or will not allow me to do.

I’ll do my best to return to my earlier pace of posting to this blog. This past week I had little time where I was awake and feeling well enough to write. I enter the hospital Monday morning for chemo, and they plan for me to stay at least two days. Hopefully this will help me handle this round of chemo better than the last. Talk with you soon my friends.

11 comments:

Linda K said...

Hang on, Dave. We're all with you in spirit.

James 1:12

Louis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louis said...

You're doing an awesome job fighting this thing, Dave. Keep fighting, I know you will beat it.

Louie

Jim said...

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. (Rom 8:18)

I know this sounds easy to say because I am not in your condition - but remember I didn't say it, God's Word said it!

Dave - We love you and are with you every day in your battle. I know you will fight it with all you have and all God gives you, and so will we.

Jim and Ruth

Laura said...

God Bless You, David! Your parents named you well, a man after God's own heart! You are truly a man of God and truly an inspiration to all who know you, just like your father!

Laura (Balhuizen) Pegg
Flower Mound, Texas

Unknown said...

Dave and Theresa- A verse that really helped me focus on God's grace when we waited while Garrett was in the ICU after open heart surgery was Rom 12:12. 'Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer.' This verse was helpful in keeping us focused on God's power versus the helplessness we felt at times watching Garrett suffer and not being able to ease the pain. Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight!

Sally Lee said...

Dave-your strength of spirit is an inspiration to us all. You're one of the bravest people I know.

dmu said...

Hi Dave
Keep on fighting the good fight. You are half-way home and doing great. Just keep picking them up and putting them down.
You have the attitude and support to win!
- Dave

M. Holmes said...

Hey Dave,

Many prayers and blessings.

Just heard of your struggle. We're so proud of you for fighting so hard. May God strengthen you in battle. We'll have MANY masses said for you.

Michall & Katy Holmes

jen <> said...

Go Dave, Go! We are on the curb cheering the racer along.

Diane Macheers said...

Your bravery and strength of character has inspired me like no one elses ever has. Charlie and I are praying for you!

Diane