Sunday, December 2, 2007

Two Weeks Down

Last Friday marked one-third completion of my treatments. The two rounds of radiation on Friday really sapped me over the weekend. I slept a lot. I did not realize the physical stress radiation puts on a cancer patients. When I sleep long and hard after radiation, I also have bizarre, unsettling dreams. I'm thankful for Theresa who is there to just listen and talk. She always helps to put the unsettled feeling behind me.

Whenever we face a trial or challenge in life, it is an opportunity for growth. I'm actively searching for both personal and family growth opportunities that may come out of my battle with cancer. My hope and prayer is for my family to draw closer together and deepen our appreciation for each other.

It may sound trite, but I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about all I appreciate about life and my family both big and small. I've always known these things on a conscious level, but sometimes it takes a significant event in ones life to trigger realization of the full perspective and ramifications of life.

Since childhood I’ve been good at learning life lessons vicariously. My parents pointed out how vices negatively affected peoples lives, and on the positive side how successful individuals set goals and used self-discipline to get ahead. I saw the evidence, and generally followed these examples, positive or negative.

As an adult I continued this pattern of actively observing and learning from others around me. I learned leadership and workplace skills by observing and applying, or in some cases rejecting examples of my peers and mentors. This cancer trial, is experiential for me. I pray those reading this blog will gain vicarious knowledge through my cancer experience.

I don't know what the end of this challenge will be, but I am looking at this trial as a way for me to grow in all dimensions of my life. I admire the elderly person who is spry and has a spring in their step. They have made conscious choices to continue learning, growing and maintaining a positive attitude. I look forward to developing the character that will allow me to be that spry, motivating elderly individual someday, too. I'm sure this fight with cancer will be a key growth opportunity to help get me there. I pray my memory of these lessons are long, and my application is good. This is one life lesson I prefer to not repeat. ;-)

13 comments:

jen <> said...

Dave - You're doing a great job of updating us on your progress ~ the successes are good news! We see answered prayers. God saw fit to head off the pneumonia - your fever now seems under control. Great!
Thanks for the timeline of your illness; so well-written.
We miss your smile and presence at church but you are where you belong fighting cancer with all the finest tools. You walk as a superb example of a godly man and family. Keep the faith, McCalleys!

Unknown said...

Dave,
I want to tell you about Mark's mom. She had 9 children and adopted one more, is 94 years old, has survived not one but TWO bouts of breast cancer, and goes line dancing every Monday. Up until a year ago she still mowed her own lawn. Life is all about her family, her faith, hard work, and having fun. You have all the faith and spirit she has. You will be playing your trumpet at 94...and recording a family tune in your studio.
Stay strong. You are blessed,
Rita

Kent Stones said...

What really stuck with me from your entry is how it is so important that we continually think about what our current experiences are teaching us. I find that I get so caught up in the day-to-day mode of just getting things done that I fail to reflect and appreciate. I'm going to take a few minutes right now to do just that.

I'm so grateful that you are sharing your reflections of your journey. It will change and influence untold numbers of people -- I know it has already changed me.

Dana said...

As you have looked toward others as mentors, there are many people who have looked to you, Dave. You have been a role model to me, not just in the workplace where I’ve observed your leadership style, but your ethics and integrity as a person. I have grown so much in the 8 years I’ve known you.
Kent is right – we spend too much time getting caught up in what needs to be done. Please continue to share your experiences; this blog has caused me to stop, think and reflect more than once! God’s blessings to you, Theresa and your family.

Jim said...

Dave -
This blog is exactly what I would expect from someone with the spiritual gift of faith! Even though you can't attend church regularly, you are still exercising your gift!

Thanks, we all need it.

We have such a gracious God!

Pastor Jim

Bonnie and Gene said...

You will not forget these lessons! You will never be the same person you were before. You will be grateful for each and every moment of life. You will never take anything for granted. Your heart wil be full of compassion and it will break for those who are hurting. Thus is the experience of the journey.

Today as I was reading from a little book by Michael Card, I was again reminded of the purpose of this season we so celebrate - God with us, Immanuel. God came to live among men so that He could die for men. Today He is still our Immanuel; He is your Immanuel, right beside you, holding you up, never putting you down.

"If God be for us,who could stand against us,
Our God is is with us.
Immanuel."

This is the joy you learn on the journey. All you believed as absolute truth, is now your present reality. It's all in "living color"!

Bonnie

Unknown said...

Dave- As I read your comments about learning life's lessons vicariously, I reflect on the numerous examples of people in our congregation who have handled illness with courage, grace, and a sense of humor. Jackie Horn, Dave Tucker, and Ross Keith are a few names that come to mind. To that list we now add Dave McCalley. Here's hoping that we may all find pearls of wisdom in your words and actions. Our prayers for you and your family continue.

michaelwma said...

I agree with all of them Dave ... I am still reading ... I put a little post to you here on the kasina blog.

Keep fighting!

RickW said...

Dave - I was thinking about you and your family this morning. Thanks for doing the blog. It's a nice way to keep in touch.
I'm sure you know - but just in case - we launched IPro, IUA, and IBG yesterday.
I'm looking forward to the day you are able to return to the office on a regular basis. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Laurell and I are going to be driving out see Chris lead his Jr/Sr High band in their holiday concert later this month. Having no musical talent myself I'm a little envious of people like yourself and Chris - it's a nice gift that you are able to share with the rest of us.
Take Care and see you soon!

Joe Greene said...

As Kent said, its rare we take the time to think and learn from our experiences...both what we learn from our own actions and thoughts and what we learn by observing others. Your words are not trite, Dave, they are inspiring and helpful reminders to those of us who hold you and your family in our thoughts.

mccalleymom said...

Dearest Dave,

Tomorrow, you're half way through the treatment. There have been so many little miracles ( though not so little) along the way. The timing, the doctors and the nurses- those we knew and those who cared enough to expedite the process. How great to watch the progress.
Many thanks to you for being my son.
I love you.
Mom

mccalleymom said...

Dearest Dave,

Tomorrow we're half way through the treatment. There have boon so many little miracles (though not so little) along the way. The timing, the doctore, the nurses - those who knew and those who cared enough to expedite the process.
Thanks so much for being my son. I love you!!
Mom

Thofamily said...

Dave and Theresa and family,

We continue to lift you up in prayer. It sounds like your journey and lessons you are learning is very similar to ours when Lisa battled her cancer. Our testimony is one of God's faithfulness in the midst of the trial. He proved His love to us in very real and tangible ways and we want to encourage you to continue what you are doing - press into your Lord and allow His peace to guard your hearts and minds. Like I said - we are praying for you, that your strength will be from the Lord.

Your bro. in Christ - Loren.