Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fighting Back from Chemo Round 2




Just like round one of chemo, round two was a challenge to endure days four through seven. Recovery was a bit slower in round two, but now eight days out, I’m turning the corner and beginning to put the intense nausea behind me. I keep telling myself, this is a small price to pay for the potential benefits of a cancer free life.

The picture is a day or so after I received the chemo treatment. As you can tell by my smile, its also before the power of the chemo put its grip on by body. But, I thought you would all get a smile out of me in my bed, on my laptop, connected to the hospital Wi-Fi just being “Dave.”

The lead doctor is encouraged by my progress. While I’m beat up physically, there continue to be signs my body is responding as intended to the treatment protocol. Apparently, not everyone makes it as far through the protocol as I have already come.

A key concern at this point is my weight. I’m now about 117 lbs, a weight I’ve not experienced since junior high school, and 25 pounds less than my weight in May of this year. To give me the best chance of halting this slide in my weight, I’m now on a continuous pump feeding through my PEG tube. The doctor says there are more aggressive steps that can be taken if this approach does not halt my weight loss. Theresa and I are very focused on doing what we can to get this under control now, not later. We would appreciate your prayers regarding this matter.

In closing, I would again like to thank all of you for the support you are proving me through this journey. I want you to know Theresa is there on the front lines getting me through many a tough hour. She has been a caregiver extraordinaire twenty-four hours a day, seven-days a week. The toughness she has drawn on to achieve what she has in music, business and life has come through in flying colors as she constantly lifts me up physically, spiritually and emotionally. Words cannot begin to describe the intense appreciation I have for my lovely wife and the phenomenal support she is providing me. And, in times when she can’t help, so many of you have stepped in… my mom, the Riga’s, and so many other giving individuals. And, the cards, emails and notes with words of encouragement, levity, and spiritual insight each of you have sent are a source of strength for us. Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming. We are doing what we can to beat this cancer so we have many years ahead to serve our Lord Jesus Christ on this earth.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

dave ,
Thank you for making my day happier and showing me how a fantastic husband is. I am trying to emulate your person as an example of courage, and of Christian man. I can achieve only a fraction. I missed you Sunday watching Audrey. My parents are praying for you, My friend in Italy is saying a mass a week in your honor, and my parents ignite candles in my town to the relic of where Mary and baby Jesus made them manifested to men. You are like the Archangel Michael , You are defeating your dragon.
Gianluca

Unknown said...

Great picture! That made my day, Dave.
I'm so glad you've turned the corner on nausea. Hang tight, Dave. You're doing awesome! Theresa, let me know if there is anything else I can do for you as Christmas draws near. And thank you for being so strong through this. You must be doing amazing things too!

Karen said...

So thrilled to find this post tonight. You're looking great, Dave! Simply amazing. You and Theresa are such an inspiration.

Louis said...

Dave and Theresa, you're both on my short list of personal heroes. Keep the faith and keep fighting the good fight. Thanks for the update!

Louie

Dana said...

Dave -- Great to see you smiling and that you are indeed sleeping with your laptop! You look wonderful -- hang in there, Chief!! God's strength to you and Theresa.
Love to you both,
Dana

Joe Greene said...

Dave, it's wonderful to see your smiling face. Our prayers continue to be with you and your family.

Kent Stones said...

When I saw the picture I smiled and thought "That's so Dave."

You really do look great. I'm sure you are absolutely blowing your healthcare team away with your resolve and spirit. They'll probably use you as an example for others.

Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us.

Steve L. said...

Hey Dave,

I saw the picture on your blog and saw Christ in you. I miss playing in the rests in our quintet, but I am confident we will all be together again someday soon. This temporary world we live in is certainly full of challenges, but He that is in us is greater than he that is in the world. I guess my questions of why will someday be answered, but I know that your
Godly witness is impacting many people including me. Hang in there and I pray that the peace that passes all understanding envelopes you and your family this Christmas. I have already received one marvelous gift, you giving all of us the thumbs up!

Steve

Bonnie and Gene said...

117 pounds. I remember when you weighed in at that. It was probably in the days when you played taps on your trumpet in our back yard as Gene lowered the flag. It was one of those thrills you gave to our PA neighborhood.

For now, I can't help but think of the verses in Luke telling us that with God all things are possbile or there is nothing impossible with Him. How good He is!
I have been thinking today that as the Lord views you and Theresa, He is glowing in the fact that you have praised Him through this storm. You have not asked why. You have hung tough in His grace and strength. What a praise to God. What glory to His name!
I am also reminded of the words of Proverbs, "An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels....the heart of her husband trusts in her;...She does him good and not evil all the days of her life."
We love both of you. We continue to pray with you and for you to our God who is ever listening to our pleas.
Much love, Bonnie and Gene

Love, Bonnie and Gene

Unknown said...

Dave,
What a treat to see your smiling face! I remember you smiling, no, laughing at me at 8880, as I walked down the hall 6 months pregnant with my broken arm in a sling. I am comforted in knowing that however big the tests of our faith and endurance, God is bigger. We are always in the "secret place of the most high". Loving thoughts to you and your family

Saxmonster said...

Dave,
What an encouragement and blessing to see your photo (with the MAC!). Even more encouraging is to see the fulfilment of your prayer...that people would see Christ in you. When I think of your dark days, I am reminded of Rom 8:16-22, specifically verse 18: "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." I've never experienced what you are going through, but I can't say I don't know how you do it...you are fleshing out your eternal perspective. What an amazing testimony - both you and Theresa. Wow.

Much love from the Phillips family,

Steve

John said...

Dave:

You are an extraordinary person with a wonderful family, and cancer has not diminished those things, it has enhanced them. You are in my prayers daily, and my Christmas 2007 wish for you is that Christmas 2008 finds you home, healthy, and happy with your loved ones, just like my mother, my uncle, and others who have stared down cancer and come out stronger on the other side. God bless, and keep up the fight.

John Miller

Sally Lee said...

Dave-thank you for the picture. It's so good to see your face--you look amazingly good. You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers. Keep up the good fight!

trixietab said...

Dave,
We are praying for you and the family. Only the power and presence of the Lord will see you through this darkness. There is light at the end of the tunnel. We are so glad to see you are improving. God bless you. Keep the faith going. Love to all. Jim & Judy