Friday, December 21, 2007

Five weeks down!

Within a few hours, I will have my last radiation treatment for this week. That marks five weeks down and one to go! Yes, I see the light at the end of the treatment tunnel, and eagerly anticipate next Friday afternoon. My challenge over the next few weeks will be managing the blistering and damage the radiation is doing to my mouth and throat.

Earlier this week, I noted a concern with my weight and the ability to establish a good nutritional routine. As the nausea from the December 10th chemo treatment began to wane this week, it became easier for me to keep my food down and halt my weight loss. Yesterday, I was able to achieve 2000 calories for the first time in ten days. (At its worst, I was able to achieve only 600 calories over three days.) I believe I’m now on the right track to slowly, but surely add a few pounds each week.

I’ve always been a believer in the power of goal setting. While they seem trivial, even small goals like increasing nutritional intake by one can of liquid food per day, or doing what is necessary to make every radiation treatment help maintain a positive spirit and attitude. In fact, its when our physical and mental capacity are the lowest that our goals should be the most achievable. This increases odds of success, which further builds our confidence to overcome the next, more difficult hurdle.

Another observation I’ve had over the past few days is how relative assessment of one’s physical well-being can be. Its no secret chemo affected my body in a way I was not able to easily tolerate. As the intense nausea and fatigue began to subside earlier this week, I commented to Theresa how I felt a thousand times better. Since it was nice out, she suggested I walk outside to get the mail. While I indeed felt remarkably better, the effort to get the mail quickly reminded me of just how far I still have to return to normal strength. I’m confident I will continue to get stronger, but I’m a bit further away than my relative improvement in physical condition led me to believe.

Talk with you soon. I hope to have a little treat in my next post.

6 comments:

Granddaddy said...

All this is very encouraging news, Dave. I smile every time I read your blog because your comments provide such a powerful metaphor for what life on earth is all about. What a champion you are, and what an inspiration for all who know you. I really look forward to when you're back up to a "plump" 140 pounds or so and I can see you.

Cam Lynn said...

Dear Dave,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us and for your faithful posts.

God's grace and perfect character is portrayed so well in His creation, and if that's not enough He's given us His very Word and those to faithfully teach us.

But sometimes even THAT'S not enough so he further shows us His grace and character through the trials and suffering of those He loves.

Who are we to argue with our Creator and Redeemer? What a message of hope and strength and faithfulness (and so much more) is contained and expressed in your life right now.

Thank you........

Cam Lynn
in Beautiful, Wet, Cold, Rainy Brookings, OR

M. Holmes said...

Hey Dave!

Just heard from the Bro' in law. Small world. He was very impressed and upbeat. You're doing a GREAT job (as expected). Keep up the good work!


Christmas blessings to you and your wonderful family.

M. Holmes

Unknown said...

Dave and Theresa,

Just another quick thanks for your willingness to post your progress so those of us who are interested can continue to know how to pray for you all.

You will have an amazing testimony when you beat this thing and it's all behind you! Maybe we can replace Lance with Dave here at ACI...I'm sure you'd be a lot less expensive. HA!

Christmas Eve today... my favorite day of the year. Woohoo! Why am I here at work?? :-)

May all of the McCalley family experience the peace of Christ, the love of God, and the warmth of family this Christmas. Dave, I hope you're feeling well enough to enjoy the holidays.

Keep hangin' in there, and thanks again for the updates!

Karen said...

Merry Christmas, Dave.

Nina said...

say goodbye to 2007 Dave, the last Christmas you will ever have with cancer, for next Christmas you will be celebrating cancer-free!! You are beyond amazing.

Nina