Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Good News Week Four

Week three of treatment opened with some good news. The main tumor is no longer referring pain up through the ear, and pain from this tumor overall has declined. This along with the return of the resonance in my voice is mounting circumstantial evidence the main tumor is shrinking. The secondary tumor in my lymph node has noticeably flattened and shrunk in size over the past week. The radiologist is pleased with the results over the first three weeks of treatment.

After an 8:00 AM Monday morning visit to the radiologist, I was admitted for in patient chemotherapy. For the past 50 hours or so I’ve received high doses of anti-nausea drugs and slept round the clock. If I continue on my current path, I will be released to return home from the hospital on Thursday. I continued daily radiation this week through the chemo treatment and recovery period.

I was concerned on how well I would weather this round of chemo given the difficulty I had with the first round. Thanks to God’s hand, your prayers and support, a great medical team, and a experience from the first round, this round of chemo is tough, but much better than the first.

The next physical challenges ahead include working through the rest of this round of chemo, and managing the mouth and throat pain from the radiation. As the radiation does what needs to be done to the cancerous tissue, it also adversely affects the healthy tissue of the mouth. This results in scaring, sores, flaking off of skin inside and outside of the throat area, etc. I’m told this will peak through the end of treatment on December 28th. Then the rate of healing from patient-to-patient can vary widely from a few months to the better part of a year.

I’m going back to sleep now. I’ll post again in a few days. Keep your prayers, thoughts and positive comments coming. Each day is one day closer to a victory!

21 comments:

Joe said...

So happy to hear the good news, Dave! Thank you for inspiring me once again with your courage, your determination (and your mastery of spreadsheets). My family and I are keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

M. Holmes said...

You raise my faith, Dave. Thank you.

Linda K said...

Good news indeed! Dave, thank you so much for this blog. It is so inspiring and helps us all know how to pray and also brings glory to the awesome God we serve.

Love and prayers,

Linda K

Unknown said...

That is GREAT news! Keep up the fight!

Unknown said...

YAY!!
Smaller tumors, less pain, and what was feared to be your worse round of chemo turning out to be at least bearable...all very good news!
You bet, the prayers are still pouring. I've been anxious for this post, praying you would feel good enough to write. I love your determination!

Dana said...

Wonderful news, Dave! Hang tough - the power of prayer is at work. God is good all the time!

Granddaddy said...

David, you are an inspiration. You continue to be in my prayers. I know that God is watching over you, and I appreciate the positive modeling you are to so many of us. (Hey, positive modeling is one of your defining characteristics.)
- Rodger

Sandy K said...

Hi, Dave. I just heard about your unbelievable challenge a few days ago, and you've been in my prayers consistently ever since. Thank you so much for keeping everyone updated via your blog, which is truly inspirational. I am SO glad you're seeing some promising signs, especially during this miserable phase... hang tough! And please know that there are many, many folks at AmCen concerned about you and thinking of you often. If anybody can kick its tail, you can!

May you feel the warmth of God's blessings and the power of His healing... today, and every day.

Sandy Kasahara

Lee S. Kowarski said...

This is wonderful. So glad to hear the good news.

Unknown said...

Dave,
Keep up the good fight and know that many are praying for you daily. Your courageous fight helps keep all of life's minor inconveniences in perspective.

Dan

lori said...

Dave - your update is pure evidence that the work of so many prayer warriors is paying off! We continue to lift you, Theresa and the kids in prayer for continued success in your treatments and a strong recovery. We know that God is holding all of you in His arms through each and every moment of this journey - keep the peace! Steve & Lori W

Mick & Bonnie said...

Dave we just found out! Thank the Lord for the good news this week & for all the brethren praying for you. You can count on us for ongoing prayers. You are a shining example of how to win the race. Keep the faith, and with the Father's help you will win this battle and bring glory to him.

Karen said...

Incredible news, Dave. No less than I expected.

Joe J. said...

God's blessings and grace for you and your family during this time of great challenge. Our prayers for your continued strength and recovery.

Kent Stones said...

Your momentum keeps growing! Stay strong, my friend.

Kent

LRose said...

Up until this point, I've been a "lurker" on this blog. I check in frequently to see how you're doing. I decided I need to tell you how much my family is pulling for you. Thank you for the inspiration. I know you like to win so we are praying for that. :)

Pam said...

Dave, I continue to pray for you. God is good! In the midst of your pain and challenge, your love and faith in God is so apparent. Thanks for providing such inspiration in a time of challenge and pain.

Unknown said...

I haven't posted for awhile but we think about you each day and continue to pray for your recovery and your family's strength. In spite of plans being different than expected, I hope you are able to enjoy Christmas, New Year's, and have an awesome 2008!

Linessa said...

You are truly kicking cancer's butt! Keep up the great work and we continue to pray for you and your strength. I'll call this week.
Linessa

Joe Greene said...

Dave, this is fantastic news!!

MDX from ACI said...

Keep on fighting, Dave!

God Bless,
Melissa Dailey