Monday, March 3, 2008

Life is in the Details

A week ago my spirits were high following good news from my doctors. My attitude was perfect to push the envelope on several fronts, and I did. I was also reminded of how far I still have to go.

Recovery from cancer in the base of one’s tongue presents several challenges. A healthy oral cavity is critical for speech, eating, drinking and in my case, playing the trumpet. Each oral cancer patient’s recovery is different as the treatment pattern and effects of radiation vary depending on the location and size of the cancerous tumor. My doctors continue to remind me it is not uncommon for patients to take a year to recover. As you can imagine, I do not want accept this. However, I’m finding there are some parts of this recovery I can’t push.

Last week, I made good progress in my ability to swallow. From early December until early February, I was not even able to swallow my own saliva. Last weekend, I sipped Arizona Green Tea in one ounce servings once or twice a day. Now, a week later I’m sipping two to three ounces of fluids about every hour. I also began to sip some soup, but I’m not yet able to take in much more than one or two ounces.

The main obstacle to my swallowing is a damaged area between the base of my tongue and the top of my esophagus on my right side. I am told some patients have to have this area stretched several times a year to maintain adequate swallowing capability. Time will tell on how this will play out for me.

My tongue also continues to improve. The stinging sensation from radiation burns is fading. During more intense periods, I was given a “magic mouthwash” that contained lidocaine to dull the discomfort. My tongue’s mobility is also improving, but I still cannot move my tongue to touch my teeth or cheek on the right side of my mouth.

Two other areas damaged by radiation include my salivary glands and facial hair. Theresa says she wouldn’t mind it if my facial hair didn’t return. My cheeks are much smoother! Right now my whiskers have returned for my moustache and a one-inch strip from my lower lip to my chin. My salivary glands, on the other hand, I hope will recover. Now that the blisters have healed, I’m left with radiation damaged salivary glands to moisten my mouth. They don’t produce enough moisture resulting in dry mouth. I swish with water regularly to keep my mouth from getting too dry. Finally, I’m happy to report my taste buds have recovered. So when I sip sweet tea or salty chicken broth, the taste is just as it should be. Whew!

While I will continue to strive to regain as much normalcy to my life as possible, I know the gift of life itself is blessing enough. So while I remained focused on returning to health, I thank God for each and every day of life I’m given.

9 comments:

lori said...

Greetings, Dave! Blessings come each day, be they small or large, they continue to flow for you! Progress in swallowing and taste buds in the same week? Now that's HUGE!! Steve and I continue to lift you, and the healing hearts and hands that surround you in prayer each day - and they are clearly being answered - God is good - ALL the time! Can't wait to see you back here among us! :o)

SteveSpaw said...

Hey Dave I am so glad that you got in touch. You will be in our hearts and prayers.

Keep it up buddy, I will keep following your recovery!

God Bless,
Steve and Family

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,

Great to see that the small victories continue to pile up. Hope to see you at church after all the flu stuff passes.

Dan

PS. I forgot my password again.

lesliep said...

Dave, I have spent this morning catching up with a very dear old friend. It is with tears in my eyes yet joy in my heart that I read about your journey. Thank you for reaching out to your "old" friends, we want to be there for you. John and I are praying for you.

Leslie

Karen said...

I caught myself moving my tongue left and right as I read this post, imagining what it might be like to miss that ability for a period of time. Nerve cells are the slowest ones to grow. If patience and positive energy is all it takes to recover, you're in great shape.

Keep up the great work. The consistency and momentum of your recovery sounds very encouraging!

jen <> said...

Go, Dave Go! The Fowler family continues to pray for you & yours. We Fowler girls were fascinated by Bodies Revealed at Union Station. I marveled at God's wonderful creation. Even when broken, He may allow a measure of healing. At times like this for you, almost a new life. It's like a glimpse of a new life to come with perfect bodies. Even if it's tomorrow, I am ready because of Jesus doing all the work; dying on the cross for me. God may heals and surely saves.

Joe and Pat said...

Morning, Dave. Your Soul Focus family continues to raise you and your family up several times per day. We're hoping for another miracle by June. :-)

JONATHAN said...

Dave, You may not remember me (I definately wasn't a record breaker). I ran for you at Park in the early 90s. I found your blog from Ted H. I just wanted to let you know that you are one of those few people we meet in our lives that are a "true inspiration". You coached me/us to things I didn't think was possible! Keep up the fight! You're a winner.

KCCyclist said...

I'm sure nobody can better appreciate the subtle flavors in tea and chicken broth. I spoke with Mark Schultz the other day as he was on his way to see you for a meeting. I'm truly amazed at the way you have approached this journey with such optimism and grace. I look forward to reading about your continued progress.