Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Reclaiming My Independence

During this battle with cancer, my reliance on others, especially my wife Theresa has been significant. I’ve always been independent… maybe too independent. Part of the reason my sentimental emotions have been so acute is directly related to receiving the love and support from so many of my friends and family.

My energy level continues to improve, and that has led to me reclaiming normal daily activities. Last Thursday I decided it was time to drive again. The look on Theresa’s face was priceless when I told her I was going out for a short drive. It may sound trivial, but to drive down the street, fill the car with gas, or drive my daughter to the nearby shopping district makes me feel like I’m part of society again. It’s a great feeling!

Early this week we received more good news regarding the result of treatments to destroy the cancer in my body. The lab results taken from the lump in my neck demonstrated no evidence of cancer. However, my ENT did not see any lymph cells either. So, he cannot be 100% sure the cancer is gone from the lymph node. There are one of two possibilities. First, only scar tissue is left. Second, he missed the target when he took four samples. I feel like I’m clean, but there is a slight chance the result could be a false positive.

When I visit the ENT again in early April, he will palpate my neck to determine whether the lump is smaller. If it is, then there will be no follow up. As the doc said, "We aren't concerned about lumps that are shrinking." If it is the same size, he will arrange to draw another sample, but this time in a radiology room so he can visually validate the sample he draws is indeed from the lymph node.

The gastroenterologist to whom I was referred is on vacation this week. I would like to begin sessions to mechanically stretch my throat next week. Theresa contacted his scheduling nurse. but we have not yet received a confirmation.

Now that I am driving and beginning to get out and about, the next big hurdle to returning to a more normal life is the ability to eat and swallow in a normal fashion. If all goes well, that may be only weeks away.

4 comments:

MaryG said...

Congratulations on this excellent news. Happy Easter!

Granddaddy said...

I'm in beautiful southern Virginia where the earth is bursting with fresh life and new beginnings -- befitting your good news on this Good Friday.

All the best to you.

Rodger

Lisa Martin said...

Congratulations Dave! It's wonderful news. I'm glad you are able to get out and about. The emotions you must be experiencing. Wow! GB&KY...may you continue to get stronger and better each day.

B2S said...

Hearing your voice on a work-related teleconference yesterday and seeing you standing in the lobby of our building today . . . well, you aren't the only one whose spirits have been lifted. It's wonderful to watch your comeback. Go, Dave, Go!