Saturday, November 24, 2007

November 24 Update:: Chemo Hits with a Vengeance

I will not use this blog as a way to detail my physical discomfort. Everyone who is affected by cancer and its aggressive treatments must endure unpleasant effects. This disease does not discriminate. The healing process is a journey. Here’s an update from the past few days.

Around 4:00 AM Thursday morning, Theresa and I realized managing my condition was beyond our ability and we checked into NKC Hospital. For the next few days, I slept, took meds, made it to my scheduled radiation treatment and had a few brief conversations with doctors and nurses. The health care professionals have been nothing short of amazing.

When I asked the chemo doctor about my nausea, she indicated cancer patients in the past rejected additional treatments of the type of chemo I’m receiving, even thought it was the only proven remedy for a specific cancer. Thankfully, there is a recent anti-nausea drug that reduces its side-effects. What a horrible thought to know there is a drug that will cure you, but you can’t bring yourself to accept treatment because of the severe side effects. I keep telling myself this is a small price to pay for the potential to put this challenge behind me.

Now some good news. This morning (Saturday) I called Theresa and she began crying. Why? My voice has begun to show signs its returning to normal. While there is still a long journey ahead, it is comforting to see God’s hand begin the healing process. If all goes well, I’ll be released Sunday or Monday.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support.

15 comments:

JulieJohnson said...

Dave - Sorry you had to be in the hospital for Thanksgiving but it sounds like that was the best place for you to get through this tough period. Hang in there! Julie

Unknown said...

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. But what wonderful news about your voice returning!!!
First week of treatment...down.
Rita

Karen said...

Keep hanging in there, Dave. These are some pretty intense challenges. I'm really proud of you.

Karen Downs

Kent Stones said...

I'm so happy your voice is coming back! Yet another sign of the momentum you are building.

I'm looking forward to hearing that voice!

Kent

Nina said...

Dave, know that I have the Jewish God covered for you! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine the struggle you are going through, but I see you are the person who can beat this. Thank you for your blog.

Nina Westvold

Unknown said...

Good and bad news. I'm sure there will be many more of these twists and turns ahead. Your strength and courage will carry you through. Hang in there!

jen <> said...

Dave - We daily ask God to comfort you & your family. His Word is so beneficial. The whole family McCalley was at church today studying God's word. We're blessed to have the results of your dad's good teaching in his student-turned-pastor, Jim Kahler. Thank God for a careful man to succeed Chet in studying God's Word and presenting it accurately. Jim is 60 Sat Dec 1 if you want to send birthday wishes. jen

Greg said...

Dave,
There is nothing more I would add that everyone else hasnt already said. Stay strong on the journey my friend, your voice is such a great sign.

Greg

Seeking Moderation said...

Dave - You are in my thoughts. You're through one major milestone as the first week of treatment is behind you. Stay strong, dude.

Unknown said...

Hey D & T! Thanks for the updates. It helps those of us out here who are thinking and praying for you all but not wanting to pester.

It's great to hear about your voice Dave. I know with my dad, the chemo and radiation both made him sick as a dog but they did their job on shrinking the tumor!

Hang in there you guys! And PLEASE let us know if you need anything or if we can do anything at all to help out.

Ski Smokorowski said...

Dave- I have been following your blog and pray for your physical strength as you endure this immense challenge. Your faith rest attitude will serve you well as you ride the recovery rollercoaster. Hang in there and be strong.

Mechelle Smokorowski

Diane Macheers said...

I'm so glad to hear that you've made such progress in your first week of treatments! I can't wait to hear your voice in person.

I'm still praying for you!
Diane

Jen P. said...

You are such an amazing inspiration. I am not sure if you have read (or listened to) the The Manifesto of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, but you live it so well. Here's part:

We believe in life.
Your life.
We believe in living every minute of it with every ounce of your being.
And that you must not let cancer take control of it.
We believe in energy: channeled and fierce.
We believe in focus: getting smart and living strong.
Unity is strength. Knowledge is power. Attitude is everything.

You are fierce, strong, smart, and powerful. This disease is no match for you. We in the Pumphrey household continue to send you prayers and positive energy. We honor your courage and openness in your blog. I can't imagine how many lives you will be able to touch with your journal.

Blessings,
Jen

Dana said...

Dave - I've said many times you are a strong man, and you never cease to amaze me. Our prayers continue, and your voice returning is a wonderful, wonderful sign of the Lord's hand on you. Stay strong!
Dana, Mike, Danny & Krissy

Lisa Martin said...

Dave - That's great news about your voice. Wow, it's also great they have a med to counter that awlful nausea. Thank you for the updates. As you see, you touch so many. We love you and pray you get stronger and better each day.

Lisa