Monday, November 26, 2007

Back Home

A little after noon today, I was released from the hospital. Feels great to be home!

On Sunday morning, one of the doctors made it clear I would not be released from the hospital until Theresa and I could demonstrate we were able to care for my needs without the hospital staff, including the ability to take in adequate nutrition. After the doctor left, I created a table on the whiteboard in my room to record water and liquid food intake through my PEG tube. I knew it was important for me to increase the 8 ounces of liquid food I had ingested daily Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Those who know me would not be surprised to hear having a goal, even small like this, helped me turn the corner. It was an emotional boost to achieve these little successes of filling out lines of the chart throughout the day.

By the end of Sunday, I consumed 70 ounces of fluids, 25 of which were food. I also moved around the room on my own and planned out small routine tasks to keep my mind focused on doing normal activities. So far today, I’m on track to exceed Sunday’s food intake and meet the targets set by my nutritionist. As I went to sleep on Sunday evening, I anticipated achieving even better nutritional intake Monday.

Knowing I have another round of chemo on December 10th, I’m making plans increase my physical capacity to tolerate the treatment, albeit small, over the next two weeks. This will include walking on a treadmill and exceeding my recommended caloric intake. I hope to be at a higher weight when I begin the next round of chemo. I know its important to move at a measured pace. I look forward to improving my physical condition over the next two weeks to prepare myself for the final round of chemo.

I met with both my chemo and radiation doctors today. The radiation doctor indicated he does not look for any change in a patients tumor until the second week of radiation treatments. He was surprised my voice began to return late last week, and said that was a very good sign. While physical examination indicates the tumor size has not changed perceptibly, it has softened considerably.

A review of responses to this blog demonstrates I have been blessed with a rich and diverse set of friends. I appreciate the different and unique relationships I have with each single one of you.

11 comments:

jen <> said...

Welcome home, Dave. We are thrilled. I'm sure there are some folks at home very glad to have you back. Hang tough, friend. All 7 here prayin' for ya (includes Henry from Sweden!)

Lee S. Kowarski said...

Welcome Home, Dave! Glad to hear about this continued step in the right direction

All the best,

-Lee

Michell Ford said...

Dave, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting! Michell

Jane and Ted said...

Hi Dave. So glad you are back home again. Now you sound like the Dave I've known so many years - a man with a goal and plan to achieve it! As always, your faith and determination are an inspiration. We miss you at BHC and look forward to your return. Lots of love and prayers from all of us.

Jane and Ted

Dana said...

Dave - You know me...I got trigger happy with the mouse. I posted my comment on the wrong day, so I'm posting it here again. Welcome home! :)

I've said many times you are a strong man, and you never cease to amaze me. Our prayers continue, and your voice returning is a wonderful, wonderful sign of the Lord's hand on you. Stay strong!
Dana, Mike, Danny & Krissy

Thofamily said...

Dave,

So glad to hear that you are home! We want you to know that you and your family are in the Thoman family's prayers!

Your bro. in Christ,

Loren.

Joe said...

Way to go, Dave! I'm happy to hear that you are approaching your treatment with the same methodical dedication that we've all come to know and love.

Keep Fighting!

Joe Sundermeyer

Joe Greene said...

Dave, your strength and resolve are simply awesome. You and your family, as you move through this journey you're documenting for us all, are in our constant prayers. So happy that you're home!

All our love,

Joe & Ellen Greene

Karen said...

I'm taking notes from your fine example of health management. If I ever had to have cancer, I'd want to do it just like you ;-)

So excited to see that you are home again!

Karen Downs

Kent Stones said...

You made me smile when I read you actually had a white board in your room. It wouldn't surprise me if you designed an entirely new nutrition management system that improved hospital efficiency and reduced cost....

Dang it McCalley, you always teach me something. I read your post this morning before heading into work. Today had the potential for being a really ugly day, but throughout the day I kept thinking about you and how focused you are on solving problems. Thanks to your story, I solved some problems today. You are an amazing man.

Talk to you soon...

Kent

Bonnie and Gene said...

What a surprise!!!! We still remember the race walk days and the focused teenager who allowed nothing to get in the way of the race. It didn't matter if the rest of the world was enjoying a short vacation, the training never ceased.
Once again the race is on. We are quite sure you will make the weekly patient conference. Keep detailed notes - you will need them for your book. We are sure that will be the next step, Dave McCalley author of "Motivational Training for the Cancer Patient- How to Take Control of Your Treatments". We want a signed copy!!!

Much love and many prayers,
Bonnie and Gene