Sunday, November 16, 2008

One Year Later

A year ago on Sunday, November the 18th I received my first radiation treatment in the morning and my first chemotherapy in the afternoon. Today, I went to church in the morning with my family, watched some football and enjoyed God's wonderful creation by playing golf on a brisk 50 degree afternoon in Kansas City. What a difference a year makes. I have another PET scan in a few weeks, and all appears to be going as well as anyone could have expected.

I encourage you all to enjoy life and all the little joys it has to offer. The bad stuff comes and goes, but we can all choose our response to the ups and downs of life. Give your family and loved ones a hug. Try not to get caught up in self-centeredness, or seeing things only through your eyes and give others the patience, grace and understanding that strengthens relationships. Relationships matter. Cherish and nuture them. Make a positive difference in someones life -  as often as you can. Just as many of you did for me this past year. Thank you and God bless.

Dave

2 comments:

Phyl Wurst said...

Hi Again Dave,

I think of you often. I can't even imagine the enormous struggle that you have been going through. I'm sure that the Lord must be even more strongly present in your life now for you to endure all of this. You always were an amazingly disciplined person. I admire you so much, you have always been a very special guy.

I have recently recalled to a couple friends about the Christmas Eve party at our house when you, age 5,and Valerre, age 4, stayed upstairs while the adults were having a songfest around the piano in the rec room. Apparently, the two you enjoyed the taste of the fruit punch, and after some time you came downstairs, both of you looped. I had a few old biddies who wanted me thrown out of the church for that, but your Dad saved me.

When you came to North Carolina for the track meet,at North Carolina State U., way back when, I loved to watch you run. Your legs moved so fast that you looked like one of those cartoons where the runners legs look like wheels.
That was you...your legs looked just like wheels as you smoothly moved down the track.

Then, you took up race walking, and got so slim in the hips I was envious. You demonstrated the technique to me, but I never practiced it enough to get slim hipped like you.

I will always think of you and your family as much more than friends. HR and I hope to come to K.C. next summer for his 60th High School reunion. It would be wonderful to all get together and meet your wonderful family. Maybe Greg could even come from St.Louis.

I am sooo happy that you are making such amazing progress. I will keep in touch. Your Mom called me after Russ went home to be with the Lord. It was fun to pick up like old times.

Much Love and Prayers,
Phyl Wurst

mary ann altenburg said...

David---I have been reading your blog and praying for you--Diane Boring is too. Just wanted you to know---I forward it to my sons and they read your testimony too. I hope after all these years, your family can forgive all the pain that was caused. I know that God is blessing you---often I wish we could go back and do things over. What a joy you must be to the Lord. Mary Ann