Tuesday, October 21, 2008

LiveSTRONG Challenge & PEG Tube Removed

Its been too long since I've updated this blog. I'll provide an update on my progress in a moment. First, I would like to call your attention to an event a member of my eBusiness team at work is participating in to fight the global battle against cancer. Jennifer Pumphrey, a very talented and inspiring individual, is riding in the LiveSTRONG Challenge in about 10 days. Please visit her web page at http://austin08.livestrong.org/jpu If you are so inclined, please support Jennifer in her effort to raise money for to fight this disease that adversely affects too many people on this planet.

Since I last wrote, I have participated in regular Vital Stim sessions before work three to four days a week. This treatment has helped my ability to swallow significantly. The variety of food I am able to swallow is expanding weekly. Water is my best friend while eating, especially if the food is dry like bread. I have also found sensitivity to hot and cold, and spicy is high. I tried some ketchup the other day and it about sent me through the roof. Who would have thought ketchup too hot to tolerate. I guess my love for mexican food will have to be put on the back "burner." ;-)

The last day of September I had my PEG tube removed. My doctors told me in August if I could maintain or gain weight for four weeks without using the feeding tube, they would approve its removal. You know me. Give me a goal and I'm ready to go. They also gave me a video swallow test before approving removal of my PEG. My epiglottis does not invert to cover my trachea, but I've developed a way to swallow that overcomes that deficiency. The removal of the PEG resulted in a second belly button. Someday, if I have grandkids, I'll have fun making up stories as to why grandpa has two belly buttons!

I also started playing golf again in early September. I finally gave up trying to keep my feeding tube wrapped up during a round of golf and just let it hang in my shirt. I just had to laugh to myself as there was no way to swing the club without the feeding tube unraveling.

So, in summary, all is going very well. All checkups with my doctors indicate my recovery is on the right path. Now its just a matter of being patient with the healing process and adjusting to the physical changes resulting from the treatments that saved my life. Talk with you soon.

Dave

3 comments:

Granddaddy said...

TWO belly buttons? Dave, you're always the over achiever! - Rodger

michaelwma said...

Thanks for the update Dave ... I don't get out on the course much these days, but I am totally looking forward to seeing how far the game has progressed since the Doral (what ... 4 years ago?). Keep up the good work!

jen <> said...

Reading your blog; always a good way to keep life in perspective. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Great to see you on Sundays digging in to God's Word.